Dear Son #1,
Five years ago, I began a journey of lifelong learning. The hard way. Five years ago, you made me a Mom. And you taught me how. Thankfully you never made it boring for me and every day I learned something new, whether I wanted to or not. So, this post is a combination of a thank you for all the lessons so far – don’t worry I know I have a ton more to learn and you, no doubt have much more wisdom to impart – and a congratulations to both of us making it five whole years. Relatively unscathed, not bad friends and still smiling.
Happy 5th Birthday Pieter Boy, and thank you for teaching me…
- That nobody is perfect – not you and not me. And there’s no point in either of us trying.
- That there is no such thing as a spotless house with happy kids living in it.
- That homeschooling is not for everyone. It is not for me and it is not for you.
- That you were born with your own set of likes, dislikes, strength, weaknesses and character traits. You’re not afraid to communicate them either.
- That you can, on occasion, embarrass the snot out of me (and I always thought that I was invincible).
- That some kids just don’t like colouring – I can’t help it, my mind is blown – but I accept that and you accept that some Moms just don’t like building Lego.
- That monumental milestones won’t happen until you decide they will happen. End. Of. Story. Ahem, potty-training. Good times.
- That sometimes it is not a good time for you to be in a family photo, and if it’s one of those times, I will not get a good family photo.
- That you really don’t care if Mommy and Daddy are tired and hungry, but if it’s the reverse, trust me, we care.
- That I should never leave home without snacks due to the sudden extreme hunger that could appear at any given moment.
- That there are some battles I really don’t want to pick with you.
- That it is entirely possible to love someone like crazy that you just met.
- That life was incredibly dull and mundane for Mommy and Daddy before you came along. I don’t know how we managed.
Happy Birthday my crazy boy, keep being you and never stop teaching me because I’m sure I still have a lot to learn.
Love my blogs? I do too! Please share the love ~ subscribe, like, share ~
Don’t love my blogs? Well, maybe you shouldn’t read them anymore but you can still ~ subscribe, like, share ~